Title: Seminars and GOA evaluation

ECCO Seminar series

For our seminars, I have reserved a room in the psychology faculty (3C204) on Thursdays, starting from 5 pm, for the rest of the year. This is a large room with an inbuilt projector for computer presentations. Since we will normally be with a relatively small group, we may move the tables and chairs to create a more close setting.

I chose the room in the PE faculty, because the LW faculty, to which I am administratively connected, does not have any rooms available for seminars, and normal lecture rooms have to be paid for if they are not used for teaching. But if anybody knows a pleasant room somewhere else that we could use, I can still change the reservation...

Since all those who reacted noted that Thursday was OK, while no other days were unproblematic for everybody, it seems that Thursday will be our weekly activity day. Moreover, since some ECCO members are normally working off-campus until 5 pm, I suggest to start the seminars a little later, at 5.30, until about 7.30.

The preliminary program for the next few weeks is the following (this will be confirmed in the coming days):

Dec. 9: Francis Heylighen: The origins of organization. A general introduction to the ECCO theme

Dec. 16: Carlos Gershenson: Self-organizing traffic lights: a simple simulation of the mediated emergence of cooperation

Dec. 23:   Marko Rodriguez: Towards a computer-support system for societal decision-making

Evaluation of our GOA project

Most of you will know that Frank Van Overwalle and I proposed an ambitious "GOA" project on the emergence and evolution of distributed cognition, which unfortunately was not funded. Today we got the referee reports, which are generally quite positive.

Two referees thought we definitely deserved funding (one enthusiastically so), the third one was a little doubtful. A strong point of the proposal was the quality of the research team, which was basically a combination of the embryonic ECCO as it existed in April, and Frank's Social Cognition group. All referees agreed on the excellent scientific reputation and high activity level of the main promotors, and the broad complementarity of backgrounds and experience of the other members. The only criticism for the ECCO group was that we needed more publications in high-impact journals, which is indeed a weak point. The referees also mostly agreed on the importance, originality and cohesion of the project, but two were more doubtful about the practical feasibility, noting that while we were likely to produce very interesting results, the overall aim of creating an integrated theory of distributed cognition seemed overambitious given the 5 year time-frame of the project. The referees further made some more detailed suggestions for improvement of the proposal.

In conclusion, it definitely seems worth resubmitting an improved version of this proposal next time a call is opened.

--

Francis Heylighen
Evolution, Complexity and Cognition group