On Wed, 2006-07-12 at 17:14 +0200, Philip Van Hoof wrote:
> Okay, forking Camel is not what I want. Nobody wants that. It's not a
> good idea.
>
> However, it would be more easy (for me) if Camel would have its own
> configure.ac file. That way would it be more easy to do a 'make dist' of
> just Camel, I think.
>
> The evolution-data-server configure.in could very easily forward the
> configure stage of Camel using AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS()
>
> I think it's even possible to pass variables from the first configure.in
> to the next configure.ac. And if not, I guess we can simply write-out a
> m4 file and m4_include() that one in the second configure.ac. For
> example in case you want to pass version information from a to b.

What advantages does being able to dist camel on its own have, over
simply packaging it in a separate package like OpenEmbedded and Debian
do:

$ apt-cache show libcamel1.2-8
Package: libcamel1.2-8
Maintainer: Takuo KITAME <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Architecture: i386
Source: evolution-data-server
Version: 1.6.1-0ubuntu5
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.4-1), libcomerr2 (>= 1.33-3), libedataserver1.2-7 (>=
1.6.1), libegroupwise1.2-9 (>= 1.6.1), libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.10.0), libgnutls12
(>= 1.2.5), libkrb53 (>= 1.4.2), libsoup2.2-8 (>= 2.2.92), libxml2 (>= 2.6.24),
zlib1g (>= 1:1.2.1), libnss3
 The data server, called "Evolution Data Server" is responsible for managing
 calendar and addressbook information.

Before you can dist it as a separate package you'll need to remove the
use of libedataserver.  That might not be possible or realistic, so I'd
attempt that first.

If you find large bits of code that are only used in camel and are
currently in libedataserver, I'd propose moving them into camel:
libedataserver could do with slimming down.

Ross
--
Ross Burton                                 mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                          jabber: [EMAIL PROTECTED]