Ross,

IIRC, it was done because, every libdb update broke Evolution or libdb
wasn't so stable release over release. Also OpenSUSE uses statically
linked libdb. But most of the hackers I know, dynamically link libdb.
I'm favor of the change. But lemme ping some old evolution hackers who
were part of this change, to understand what they feel about it.

-Srini