Hello guys,

We have had a set of problems that we are carrying around for some time like :

      * Copyright assignments, which is not the best way looking for the future
of Evolution. It sucks and sort of limits contributions to Evolution and we
wanted to drop it.
      * The current licensing incompatibility issues of Evolution with
Samba4/libmapi (GPLv3). Evolution needs to link with libmapi/samba4 for the new
mapi based connector being developed for Exchange 2007.

So here is the plan :

      * Drop Evolution copyright assignments and make it really easy to
contribute to Evolution
      * Move Evolution licensing to  "LGPL v2 and LGPL v3" to let us re-use the
code more easily around the platform.  This also moves us closer to
Thunderbird's MPL/LGPL model.

We think this is good for Evolution and (of course) we continue to invest in
Evolution. We are also working to ensure we have the rights to re-license all
of the code. We will do the licensing/header changes as we audit the code
ownership situation.

It would be really helpful if you can post a public/explicit mail with
permissions to do it, or code pointers - if you think you wrote a piece of
Evolution code & object.

We are really excited about this and we feel this would really help Evolution a
lot. We need your support now for making this change and to take Evolution to
great heights.

´╗┐Thanks for your contributions and support.

-Srini.