On Sun, 2009-12-20 at 14:33 +0100, Daniele Visaggio wrote:
> I'm trying to realize a script to autoconfigure evolution in my
> enterprise environment. I want to do this using gconftool-2 commands
> and not by directly editing evolution configuration files in my home dir.
>
> Right now I'm studing the content of the /apps/evolution/mail/accounts
> gconf key and I don't understand the real meaning of the uid field
> found in this key. It looks like: uid="12396495851.653...@pastore-desktop".
>
> What is the real meaning of the digits in this field and where does
> evolution find them or how does evolution calculate them?

There's no real meaning to the digits, it's just an algorithm to
generate a globally unique identifier.  Specifically, it's constructed
from:

    uid="[time].[pid].[seri...@[host]"

    [time]   Timestamp when the UID was generated
    [pid]    Evolution's process ID when the UID was generated
    [serial] Meaningless number, incremented for each UID generated
    [host]   Your hostname

See evolution-data-server/libedataserver/e-uid.c for more details.

Matthew Barnes