On Wed, 2015-11-25 at 12:21 +0300, James Bottomley wrote:
> On Tue, 2015-11-24 at 18:32 +0100, Milan Crha wrote:
> > On Tue, 2015-11-24 at 15:17 +0300, James Bottomley wrote:
> > > DTSTART;TZID=America/Los_Angeles:20131024T180000
> > > DTEND;TZID="America/Los_Angeles;VALUE=":20131024T200000
> > >

> However, this doesn't excuse evolution's handling of it,

        Hi,
it depends.

> because every other caldav implementation silently ignores this

How do they ignore it? Do they convert the time into a floating time?
That means that they interpret the end time of the event as being in
the timezone the view is set for. Thus, if you've set your view's
(UI's) timezone to America/Los_Angeles, then you won't notice any
difference, the event will be on 2013-10-24 between 18:00 and 20:00. If
you've view's timezone set to UTC, then the time with the floating
interpretation is from 2013-10-25 02:00 to 2013-10-24 20:00. That means
the start of the event is _after_ its end. It's precisely what the
evolution's day view told you:
> (evolution:19872): calendar-gui-CRITICAL **: e_day_view_add_event:
> assertion 'start <= end' failed

> whereas we mangle it into a potentially unreadable timezone and then
> drop the event. The mangling seems to occur as part of the back end
> caching and is likely the fault of libical.

Right, I'd like to know which part added the quotes. I tried to read
the same event without the quotes and save it locally and the result
was:
   DTEND;VALUE=X;TZID=America/Los_Angeles:20151125T190000
that means the libical didn't add there the quotes. At least the 1.0.1
version doesn't do that.

I also tried what the evolution's UI will do when I change my view's
timezone to America/Los_Angeles and set the DTENT to the quoted TZID,
as you found it, and the result is that the evolution showed the event
properly. As soon as I changed to another timezone, like a
Europe/Prague, the event disappeared from the view and the evolution
console contained runtime warnings, though different from that yours:
>> e_day_view_add_event: assertion 'start < add_event_data->day_view
>> ->upper' failed

Interestingly, a change of the view's timeozne to Pacific/Midway didn't
make the event longer. I would expect it to happen.

> I'll see if I can work out how to fix it.

Thanks, I appreciate it. Just consider that trying to workaround other
software's fault, especially such specific, is likely not to happen.
It's because the only correct fix is the fix of the broken software
(aka your opened ticket against ownCloud).

        Thanks and bye,
        Milan