Evolution uses an incorrect format for the "From_" line in mbox files.
The problem occurs when dates with single digits are used.  Evolution will
store the line as

>From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Wed May 2 07:08:00 2001

when it should be

>From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Wed May  2 07:08:00 2001
                                ^^

Note how the date field is padded with an extra space to give a
fixed-width field in the second (correct) version.

The upshot of this is that mbox files written by evolution cannot be read
by some other mail software (such as Pine); they do not detect the
corrupted "From_" line as a message delimiter.

This bug is present in Evolution 0.9 (Mandrake RPM 0.9-5mdk).  I do not
have a later version installed and there does not seem to be a full
ChangeLog on the website, so I cannot tell if it has already been fixed.

I am not on this mailing list, so please Cc: any follow-ups to me.

Thanks,

Michael Brown