This is something we're aware of. Currently there is no way that the
composer can be used without Evolution running because evolution-mail
(which the composer is part of) requires some information to be given to
it by the shell (like the ~/evolution path) and therefor evolution-mail
can't grab it's configuration data until that happens.

Deitmar of bonobo-config fame has been working to help move all of the
Evolution components over to use bonobo-config rather than mail config
so that they don't have to know the ~/evolution path in order to obtain
config data.

Hopefully this will fix the problem...

Jeff