this will definitely fix the problem.  I have a patch that fixes it more
directly by making the current list a hash table, but I found some other
problems in the process and haven't separated the patches yet.  It is
fine with me if this goes in.  I will probably still submit the other
version when I have a little more time to split it out.

--Larry