On Tue, 2001-11-20 at 17:53, Ali Akcaagac wrote:
[snip]
> security issue:
> œœœœœœœœœœœœœœœ
> - one comment about directory and file security.. i know that the
>   evolution homedir is set to 700 but anyways. it could happen one day
>   that the user sets the permissions to 755 by mistake. this allows
>   other users to access the directory and read private email. since a
>   lot of mbox files are set to 644 (imported ones luckely to 600) but
>   new created ones like trash, draft, sent etc has 644. same situation
>   for the addressbook... dunno if someone mentioned this before.. i had
>   to set a lot of stuff manually by hand. it would be fine if evolution
>   would take care of correct flags e.g. for the PASSWORD file, for the
>   mbox files and for the addressbook...

1. I don't see this as being a problem, if the user chmod's the
directory to insecure permissions, then it's his own fault.

2. that's what umask is for

3. there's still the possibility of the user doing chmod -R no matter
what permissions you give the files, so what difference does it make?

Jeff