I decided, in a moment of madness, to make Evolution talk to the
Dartmouth Name Directory, an old directory service at my alma mater.
This was a slightly crazy thing to do, because I didn't know the first
thing about LDAP. :-/

Fortunately, the OpenLDAP project's slapd daemon supports external shell
scripts, and there are lots of LDAP-related RFCs out there.  (And I'd
worked with the DND before.)  So after a /very/ long day of hacking, I
can now access the DND through LDAP.

If anybody else has an older, funky directory service, and wants to be
able to access it from Evolution, please let me know.  I can package up
my Python code in a module and release it.

Cheers,
Eric