They recommend you do the SA install via the cpan installer.
It checks to make sure all your dependencies are met.
Itz a long install.

I don't think there is a way to do your own webmail unless you have
your own domain to send it to.

If you do, then SQWebmail is not a bad choice. But it only supports
Maildir (the QMail/D.J.Bernstein mailbox format).

That means sendmail is out. You can use postfix or qmail as your
mail server. If you read the release notes for postfix you keep
seeing the recuring phrase "incompatible with previous version"
showing up. I gave up on postfix. That leaves qmail.

Qmail then leads you to the need for adding mx records on your
DNS resolver. That leads to using D.J.Bernsteis's tinydns. Funny
how that happenz!

tiny DNS is real nice. Trouble is all you want is webmail. That
means a lot of work! Qmail, Tinydns, Sqwebmail. It took me
a more than a few weekends to get it working.

I had an additional constraint where I wanted an ssl connection
to an interior mail server. I never got that working. So I just
use Qmail with Mutt or Evolution.

You could also setup your own IMAP server if you have your
own domain. But less employers are likely to give you an
IMAP port proxy then an http port proxy.

Regards,

--JPK