On Tue, 2002-12-17 at 02:04, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> Hi.  I have filed Ximian bug 34911 stating that FreeBSD users cannot
> copy and paste text from the Mozilla/Galeon main window into Evolution.
> Linux users do not seem to be affected.  I did some digging, and I think
> I'm close to solving this problem.  I just need a little help.
>
> If I edit gtkhtml-1.1.7/src/gtkhtml.c, and remove the text/html format
> from the formats array, this problem goes away.  Therefore, the cause
> seems to be in the new text/html pasting code (i.e. the code that didn't
> exist in gtkhtml 1.0.4).  Now, I played with the new html selection
> functions, but I am unable to make things work.  I see that conversion
> is being done between ucs2 and utf-8 character sets.  I'm curious as
> ucs2, or UCS2 for that matter, is not a registered character set with
> libiconv-1.8, nor is it statically mapped in gal's e-iconv.c.  How does
> Linux handle this?  If I add a mapping from ucs2 to UCS-2 in e-iconv.c,
> the problem is not solved.  And I'm not sure why gtkhtml assumes
> Mozilla's character set is UCS2.  I personally use ISO-8859-1 (though no
> matter which charset I choose in Mozilla, the pasting problem remains).

Mozilla's export charset is always UCS2 (aka Unicode16 aka
iso-10646-1?). And it's internal charset is likely also unicode, despite
what charset preferences you have chosen (although their internal
charset *might* be utf-8, just like evolution's).

Anyways, my iconv seems to be able to handle the following:

UCS-2, UCS-2LE, UCS-2BE, UCS2,
UTF-16LE, UTF-16BE, UTF16, UTF16LE, UTF16BE

My guess is that you actually want one of the big-endian representations
if one of the aliases such as UCS-2 or UCS2 don't exist, but Larry would
know for sure.

> I have also tried to debug some of this the old fashioned way, but have
> found printf's nor g_warning's generated by the html-editor component
> are written to stdout/err.  How can I print out debugging info from the
> html editor?

you'll have to run the editor by hand, since if evolution has oafd start
it then oafd will redirect stdout/err to /dev/null.

> I'd really like to get this resolved, and I feel I'm close.  I just need
> a little guidance as to what is going on or what is being assumed of the
> host OS.  Thanks.

hope that helps,

Jeff

--