Hi,

On Fri, 2007-02-09 at 12:45 -0400, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> Totally agree. I'm nervous every time I search. Should I use the Search
> menu, or the Search box? Do they do the same thing or not? What about
> or can I use it just once? etc. etc.

Even more interesting is that I'm experiencing a bug since I upgraded.
If I do use a saved search from Search -> 1. My Saved Search, it doesn't
actually get applied unless I go into the search box, press "enter" so
that the Advanced Search dialog comes up with my saved search, and then
press OK.  How annoying.  Will file a bug about this when I get a
moment, don't know if it has to do with some stale state in
my .evolution folder.

> The whole thing needs to be rethought IMHO.

I think the whole thing needs to be REALLY rethought.

Evo's mailer has some real design innovations, but at the core of an
e-mail application is search.  E-mail applications need to have two main
use cases in mind:

1. Receiving and reading NEW mail (which Evo does decently well, but
still not optimally)
2. Searching OLD mail (which Evo used to do exceptionally well, but now
does abysmally)

I want a mailer with great search capabilities, so I can track down that
JetBlue receipt for a flight I booked three months ago, or find an
e-mail my friend sent me 6 months ago but that I never got around to
replying to.

I would also really push for some standard query language capabilities
in Evo.  I'd like to be able to type "unread messages containing
'Andrew'" in a search box (with shortcuts, like "unread contain
'Andrew'"), rather than having to create a search called "Unread",
creating the "message is unread" condition, and then filtering those
based on "message contains 'Andrew'".  Sometimes, a GUI isn't the most
usable UI.

Evo also needs to get more keyboard friendly.  What happened to our UNIX
roots?

> BTW, I didn't even realize the little magnifying glass was clickable!
> Its location makes it functionally invisible and it lacks what the CHI
> people call "affordance".

Evo gets affordance better than most other applications for most things.
But this search box redesign definitely ruins affordance, as you say.

I know Evo's designers/hackers don't like to see themselves in
competition with Gmail, but... we really need to start looking at what
works.

Andrew