On Tue, 2009-05-26 at 11:44 -0400, David L wrote:
> My original half-serious joke

was pretty funny...

> was that if there is a need to perform some
> operation frequently in a GUI application (like deleting indexes), it
> is more user
> friendly to have support for doing the operation built in to the
> application.
> Yes, people can read the mailing list and bug reports and find your
> script and
> run it.

Having some automated thing either built into the app, or as a separate
menu item would be an improvement, but with users, with advanced
degrees, who ask questions like

> Can someone help me?  I seem to have had my trial balance icon removed
> from my desktop.

there is no way I can deploy evolution to regular computer users.  If an
accountant with more than a decade of computer use can't grasp the
concept of a desktop icon, they aren't going to fare well with a PIM
that is constantly mis-displaying its state.

(The last quote is actually the last email I read before I got David's
response.  It is typical.)

--
Art Alexion
Resources for Human Development, Inc.          215-951-0300 x3075

IT, the last refuge of a scoundrel