On Thu, 2012-10-11 at 19:45 -0400, Carpetnailz wrote:
> When I click on the "Message" menu item in Evo (3.4.4 on Fedora 17),
> instead of opening the menu, it opens a new message. The only way I can
> get the Message menu dropdown to open is to remember to click-and-hold
> the mouse button down until it opens. This seems contrary to how menu
> items always work, in my experience.

Before this thread drags on much further, it's worth pointing out that
Evolution uses stock GTK+ menu widgets in its main menu.  Evolution does
not control the placement of the pop-up menu, nor the way it responds to
clicks.  That's all handled by GTK+.

The fact that you're getting a new composer window when clicking on the
Message menu is likely related to the fact that "Compose New Message" is
the first item in that menu, and GTK+ may be positioning the pop-up menu
over top of the main menu due to screen size constraints (it is a large
menu, after all).  That would mean the "Compose New Message" item is
directly underneath where you just clicked to open the Message menu.

GTK+ recently switched from the XInput framework to XInput2, and there
were some bumps along the way.  To me, the behavior you describe sounds
like another bump.

I would advise waiting for Fedora 18 and re-testing, and if the problem
is still present then file a bug against GTK+.

Matthew Barnes