On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 7:01 AM, Adam Tauno Williams
<awill...@whitemice.org>wrote:

> +1 +1 +1 +1
>
> WHY THE CONSTANT SNEAKING AROUND UNDERNEATH THE APPLICATION??????  IF
> YOU DO THAT AND THE APPLICATION BREAKS IT IS ****YOUR**** FAULT, AND
> **NOT** THE FAULT OF THE APPLICATION.
>
> To add, remove, change a mail account I have never in ten plus years
> [when did Evolution first come out?] had to do ANYTHING but configure it
> IN EVOLUTION USING ACCOUNTS SETUP!

Because for the 20 years of Unix before that, there was a human readable
and editable dot-config file. And there was a directory or file of data,
again human readable.

Evolution is more like a Windows program than Unix software. I have to
wonder what the authors were thinking.

Why Evolution and other programs like it have to be sneaking around and
making their configuration unreadable and uneditable, I don't understand.

And think of this: When confronted with hundreds of menus and submenus it
is often MUCH easier to just go to the configuration file in VI, search for
the configuration item and change it. Or in the case of a program like
Firefox, about:config.

Or say that you've changed your email address. In Unix-world you could grep
oldem...@example.com .??* and find everywhere it needs to be changed.

I suppose in Evolution world the poor sap would be required to go into each
program's menu MANUALLY and suffer through whatever GUI happens to be there.