On Thu, 2014-06-12 at 16:24 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Thu, 2014-06-12 at 16:04 +0100, G.W. Haywood wrote:
> > The right place is the mail server, which should recognize that
> > the mail is junk AND REJECT IT.  Putting it in some 'spam' store
> > on your computer is no good at all, because the message has been
> > accepted by the mail server and the spammer will get paid for it.
> > If the mail is rejected, as opposed to being accepted and binned,
> > the spammer hasn't done his job, which in my book is a Good Thing.
>
> This is far too simplistic. Not all mail identified as spam is in fact
> spam, and only the final recipient can make the call. There is no one
> canonically right answer for every situation, so there is a place for
> client-side spam filtering in many use cases.

Not only that, Yahoo manages the server operated by my ISP, which is
ATT, so I am stuck with them.  They appear to be less bad than Comcast.

I'm pleased to have a couple of replies to my posting, but still no
answers to the question: how to recognize junk on the existence of a
particular header without concern for its content.

Thanks - jon