On Tue, 2015-05-05 at 08:16 +0200, Milan Crha wrote:
> the only left option I can think of is that the missing messages are
> marked either as Junk or as Deleted. These messages are not shown in
> regular folders.
>
> You can View->Show Deleted Messages, but the Junk messages are shown
> in the Junk folder only. Make sure you'll enter the affected folder
> first.

I forgot to say I'd already tried showing deleted messages, too: no joy.

However, I looked in Junk and there they all were!!!  I have no idea why
Evo decided to throw them all in Junk.  But I selected them all and
clicked the "not junk" button and it faithfully put them all back in my
Inbox.

Problem solved!