Hi,
indeed, when I fixed it yesterday, my first attempt to restore the
.config/dconf/user file failed and ended in having another file similar in size
to the one, I tried to replace.
I tried to do this again and before I did it, I tried ps -ef | grep <username>
and found three hanging evolution processes.
So I killed them and replaced the file again. Additionally I did a 'touch
.config/dconf/user' to update the timestamp of the file.
After the next Login, all my settings came back.

So your guess might have been right. Very likely I managed to produce this
hanging session. Luky who has a backup...

Thanks!
Wolfram