On Thu, 2017-09-07 at 12:32 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Thu, 2017-09-07 at 12:27 +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for the response (although yes, it really did take me this long
> > to notice it when you didn't actually send it to me).
>
> You posted your question to the list and Milan replied to the list. Why
> would you expect him to reply to you directly?

Common courtesy, mostly. This has been discussed before, with reference
to http://david.woodhou.se/reply-to-list.html

Basically, when replying one has a choice.

Either you can risk a minor annoyance to some people by causing them to
receive two copies of the message instead of only one — which might be
slightly annoying to them if their filtering isn't set up right, but at
least they've *got* the message, and it tends to err on the side of
visibility (i.e. in their INBOX where they might want to fix their
filters to put it in the list folder).

The alternative is to risk a major annoyance to other people who are
cut out of the discussion entirely, or at least for a period of time.

I am aware that you are one of the former group, and you don't want to
fix your filters so that they match your preferred use case for some
reason. IIRC I never did work out why you think this peculiarity of
yours is more important, overall, than deliberately cutting others out
of mail threads so that they never see messages at all.