On Tue, 2020-05-19 at 22:44 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:
> On Tue, 2020-05-19 at 12:42 -0700, Van Snyder wrote:
> > Sometimes when I open a mail message (i.e., click on it's item in the
> > summary pane), evolution gets stuck on that message and won't display
> > another one until I kill evolution. The "close" button doesn't work.
> > Alt-F4 doesn't work.
> >
> > I'm using an antique 2.32.3, because I'm not allowed to have the root
> > password for my computer.
> >
> > 1. How can I cause evolution to give up on displaying a message?
>
> Close the message preview pane (if you are in the mail component). If
> you open the message in a separate window then I guess you cannot.

I don't see how to close the message preview pane. All I can do is
shrink it by dragging the bar that divides it from the message text.

> > 2. Alternatively, how can I install evolution in my own
> > account?
>
> I'm not sure I understand what that means or how it is related.
> If you want to compile Evolution from source and install it in a custom
> directory: https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution#Developer_Resources
> Good luck with the dependencies if you are running such a dated system.

I was hoping there's a way to install a binary in my own account. Is
there a statically-linked one that won't ask for stuff that's newer than
the antique OS my computer has?