On Sat, 2021-03-20 at 12:44 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:

> > I don't see anything in
> >    evolution->edit->preferences->Composer Preferences->Signature
> > to control which signature is the default.
> >
> > The various relevant options in
> >    evolution->edit->preferences->Composer Preferences->General
> > don't seem to affect anything, probably because no signatures are
> > ever inserted.
> >
> That bit is just for creating various signatures. You can have
> different default signatures for different accounts.  Hence the
> default
> signature is determined at Preferences -> Mail Accounts -> Edit ->
> Identity

Quite right, though not at all where I expected.  The box controlling
signatures (per account) is at
   Preferences -> Mail Accounts -> Edit -> Identity -> Signature.
As you see, a sig now appears.

The only remaining problem is how to get the sig to appear in the
default font (similar to Arial, but not the same) rather than
Monospace.  My original sig generated HTML, which was appropriate at
one time (the web page I was using for
advice, https://www.cameratim.com/computing/linux/evolution-signatures,
 dates to 2007), but is evidently now not correct.  Is there a way to
have evolution interpret the sig as HTML?

--
Sincerely: Jonathan Ryshpan <jonr...@pacbell.net

 Do you ever feel thankful that you know me and have
 access to my dementia? Explain and be prepared to
 discuss in class.