Thanks, Pete and others. I do know the different between seahorse and
gnome-keyring. But maybe I'm not explaining this well:

1. As I said, I use Ubuntu auto-login, so the keyring is *not* unlocked at
login. The keyring process is, however, started as follows:

~$ ps -fe | grep keyring
[username]         946       1  0 10:34 ?        00:00:00
/usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --daemonize --login

2. When I start Evolution with the keyring locked, I am *not* prompted to enter
my keyring password, and Evolution hangs. By contrast, when I start Chrome with
the keyring locked, I am prompted to enter my keyring password.

Again, I conclude that the issue is with Evolution. Is my reasoning faulty?