On Mon, 2022-03-07 at 10:18 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> What exactly is being unlocked here? Evo doesn't use Kwallet for
> anything. Do you mean the system is asking for authorization to mount
> the drive? That has nothing to do with Evo either.

That's interesting, so I experimented. I cut back to just the one
machine, everything's on it, nothing mounted from outside.

When I start Evo I get a (modal) dialog asking me to unlock login
keyring because it didn't get unlocked when I logged in.  I can't do
*anything* else with the computer before I give it my keyring password.
I tried clicking on everything and anything before giving in.

At that point I went to the Evo window and it was showing a warning
message (& several subsequent ones when as I dismissed it and them)
complaining that it couldn't log in to a (named) mail account.

So I would guess that you're initially right that Evolution itself
doesn't use the keyring, but since my mail accounts *do* use it to
supply passwords, it comes to the same thing.

Would that be a fair analysis?

So, if it's the mail accounts (I have several on various services) that
use the keyring, how do I achieve my aim of moving the disk?

In answer to

> Can you access the disk from (say) the command line?

Yes, the whole disk, and the specific mounts required for Evolution are
all present and correct.

Mark