> > However, when I press 'spacebar', it seems to "scroll down" in the
> > HTMLm essage viewer window. I don't believe I've changed 'spacebar'
> > from its default. What am I doing differently?
>
> Good point. I did not mention this detail.
> Don't release the Ctrl key.
>
> Keep it pressed the whole time, when using the arrows and when using
> the space bar.

Thank you! That did the trick.

The icing on the cake would be to see the selection as I do this. Is
that a simple code contribution that I could make? In gmail, the
"current location" is demarcated by a small, full-line-height rectangle
on the left-hand side. Perhaps something similar would work here?