> And when clicking a MailTo link I get this Chrome output when
> Evolution is the default:
>
> gpg-agent[6]: directory '/home/michael/.gnupg' created
> gpg-agent[6]: directory '/home/michael/.gnupg/private-keys-v1.d'
> created
> gpg-agent: a gpg-agent is already running - not starting a new one
> Gtk-Message: 09:20:39.393: Failed to load module "appmenu-gtk-module"
> Failed to initialize gtk+: Cannot open display:

If it can't open the display, then that is a fairly serious things -
there's no way that Evolution can start if it can't do that.  Are you
doing this directly on the console of the machine or is it a remote
session?  Are you running Xorg or Wayland?  Is the chrome running on a
different (virtual) machine?  Is chrome running in a sandbox?

> I don't recall what the previous version was but I think I will have
> to completely purge everything related to Evolution and start from
> scratch.

If it is just within the same major version (i.e. 3.44.x) then you
shouldn't need to wipe all your data.

> Now when I try $ xdg-open mailto:user@no.where Evolution opens as
> expected to send an email and the output in terminal

OK. So there's nothing wrong with Evolution.

> I wonder if this a theme thing with Pop OS that broke Evolution
> somehow? Come to think of it Pop OS did update a few things

I suspect that something did break, but not with Evolution. Has chrome
updated recently as well?

P.