On Thu, 2022-09-15 at 07:42 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
> On Wed, 2022-09-14 at 15:26 -0500, Anonymous Japhering via evolution-
> list wrote:
> > However,  it is a permanent failure.  The pane will remain frozen
> > until I reboot my laptop, which is the pain point.
>
>         Hi,
> is the whole machine frozen, or only the Evolution, or only the
> preview
> panel itself? Is there a higher CPU usage when it freezes? Maybe it's
> doing something in the background, waiting long enough may recover
> it.

Machine isn't busy as everything is responding as expected.   Htop
shows  15-20%
actvitity on all 4 cores, 20GB out of 24 GB of memory in use, and
typically < 10 GB
out of 26 GB swap in use ( 24 GB linux swap space and 2GB  swap file ).

It has happened while listening to a live webinar with no obvious
effects... no chop,
no jitter,  and no frozen video.  I typically have VPN connections to
multple remote
devices which also show no sign of the machine being bogged down ( no
connection
lockup, and no dropping of the connection ).

> Try to run evolution from a terminal:
>
>    $ flatpak run org.gnome.Evolution

I'll give it a try... and it probably won't happen again  :-)

> and let it freeze, maybe it'll print something useful there. If you
> can
> move between messages, then you might be able to close Evolution as
> well. When you click the close button multiple times, you'll be asked
> whether you want to close the app immediately or keep waiting.
>
> It should work fine, when you run Evolution again, no? If the whole
> app
> is frozen, then do:
>
>    $ flatpak kill org.gnome.Evolution

Flatpak kill never works completely.  I always end up with multiple
flatpak-bwrap and flatpak-dbus-pr files owned by init that even  kill -
9
won't kill.   Every  2nd or 3rd  attempt to restart Evolution fails as
the starting
process "detects" an already running  evolution.