On Fri, 2022-09-30 at 13:58 +0000, normsmail--- via evolution-list
wrote:
> To clarify the problem:
>
> I select a GPG encrypted email message to open.
> After selecting it to open I am automatically asked for a Ppassphrase.
> I enter nothing and select CANCEL.
> The encrypted email message opens and I see the message unencrypted
> like below (sortened on purpose) and I also get the warning the message
> could not be decrypted.

No, that's not not an unencrypted message. That is an *encrypted*
message. The bits between the "BEGIN PGP MESSAGE" and "END PGP MESSAGE"
is the encrypted message in ASCII. That is how it is transmitted in the
email.  If you want to be pedantic, I think a more accurate description
would be it's undecrypted.

It may seem to be nitpicking, but saying that it's unencrypted implies
that the message was in plain text - i.e. you could see the decrypted
content.

BTW, putting that segment of a PGP encryption in your email causes
problems - my Evolution tried to decrypt it because it thought it
looked exactly like a PGP part of the message.

> What I am looking for is to be able to open the email message as a
> normal email without the prompt for a passphrase. Basically I want to
> "disable all GPG" in Evolution.

Not that I can see. GPG is such a fundamental aspect of lots of
encryption on Linux that my system won't even let me remove it and
renaming the binary would break lots of things.

One thing that comes to mind is that there is a dconf key

 /org/gnome/evolution-data-server/camel-gpg-binary

you could try setting that to something like /bin/false:

  dconf write /org/gnome/evolution-data-server/camel-gpg-binary "'/bin/false'"

Hopefully then it will try to run the program to decrypt the message
and fail.

CAVEAT - in big letters.  I haven't tried this, I don't use GPG.
Playing with dconf can get you into trouble.  Check what you type and
don't try and do anything totally outrageous. You can make things
unusable with dconf. If you don't know what you are doing, don't do it.

P.