> > How are folders marked as filled from a mailing list?
>
> The "folders" don't know anything about it.  Folders are just
> containers and are content agnostic.

Sorry, replying to myself.  I should say though that some specific
folders have a special function - Trash, Sent, Junk etc. - and those
are not content agnostic. But those folder are designated with those
roles by the MUA, not by type of messages held in them. In Evolution
they are configured in Preferences -> Account -> Edit -> Defaults.
There is no such classification for folders to contain mailing list
messages.

P.