On Sun, 2022-10-23 at 02:24 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
> On Sat, 2022-10-22 at 22:08 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On Sat, 2022-10-22 at 17:36 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
> > > I thought I would put together some of my thoughts about using
> > > Discourse that I have gained in just a day of using it. A day is not
> > > very long and I may not have fully understood everything - but there
> > > again, I am, apparently, the top poster on the topic with most
> > > replies
> > > in the Application category on Gnome Discourse!
> >
> > Well said. I agree with all of this.
> >

> And it's clear from posts on the forum that they really don't want us
> there on any terms other than being well behaved, compliant members of
> the Gnome community.
>
> Sad, but I think the jury has come to their decision.

I hope that Gnome is happy to have destroyed a vibrant, helpful support
community. For what? Because they can't be arsed to deal with spam;
because we didn't fit in with their vision of how support should be
provided; because we aren't good Gnome citizens.

We were sold a pig-in-a-poke. This is what one of the admins of the
forum said:

   Yes: Discourse is not a good mailing list software. It’s predicated
   on the idea that you can use email to interact with it, but it’s not
   the main interaction model. Tools like moderation and community
   management are based on interacting through the web UI. Can
   Discourse be fixed? Of course: it’s software, it can do anything.
   Plus, it’s open source software, so it can be fixed by anybody. If
   people are willing to work on it, I’m sure it’s going to improve
   that particular side, and maybe it’ll be a good replacement for
   mailman. Are GNOME admins going to do that? No, I don’t think they
   will.

The "configure once and then just use email" was a lie.

To continue the Douglas Adams quotes:

        "So long and thanks for all the fish".

Pete