Hi Grunta,

This can't be done with worksheet formulas, as they will be re-calculated
everytime something changes, as you have discovered.

You will need to use the RND function in VBA to put a value in a cell. Since
this is done only once, the value won't change when the sheet re-calcs.

Regards - Dave.

> Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 16:21:28 -0700
> Subject: $$Excel-Macros$$ Help with creating a unique set of numbers
> From: grun...@gmail.com
> To: excel-macros@googlegroups.com
>

> Hello
>
> I would like a solution regard to excel formulas / VBA scripting.
>
> The purpose is to assist in generatating unique PIN numbers for users
> on our phone system..
>
> The numbers generated need to be a number between 1000 & 9999...
>
> The basic formula I have used (=RANDBETWEEN(1000,9999)) does it
> initially, but if the formula gets extended or a row gets deleted the
> numbers are regenerated....
>
> The numbers need to remain how they are at the initial time of running
> the formula..
>
> Any ideas? – I guess there needs to be some fault tolerances involved,
> but for the life of me I would know what they are....
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Grant

The new Windows Live Messenger has landed. Download it here.
http://download.live.com/
1. Excel and VBA Tutorials(Video and Text), Free add-ins downloads at
http://www.excelitems.com
3. Learn VBA Macros at http://www.vbamacros.blogspot.com
4. Excel Tips and Tricks at http://exceldailytip.blogspot.com