Hi Dan,

You could use VLOOKUP.

The syntax is VLOOKUP(Lookup_Value,Lookup_Table,Lookup_Column,Type)

The Lookup_Value is the reference of your drop-down cell - eg B2

The Lookup_Table is as below, but needs to be in 2 columns - eg Y2:Z14

Lookup_Cloumn would be 2

Type would be 0

Hope this helps.

Regards - Dave.

> Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 15:20:50 -0700
> Subject: $$Excel-Macros$$ Part Numbers
> From: dbovin...@ovonic.com
> To: excel-macros@googlegroups.com
>

> Greetings, I am new to this list. If this question was recently asked,
> please point me to it and forgive me for asking it so soon.
>
> I want to make an Excel table to do a task. I want a drop down (I know
> how to use Data valadation with a list) where a user will pick a word
> in the drop down, and in another cell, an alpha-numeric part number
> will be the result.
>
> I have 20 or so part numbers, so a simple "IF" formula will not work,
> or if I could use it, it would very hard to make them over and over,
> and hard to edit.
>
> Here is sample:
>
> Drop down: Result:
> BHSCS AES18
> SHCS AES14
> FHSCS AES16
> HHCS AEB02
> Shoulder Soc. Cap Screw AES20
> Soc. Cap Set Screw AES32
> SAE Flat Washer AEW24
> Std. Lock Washer AEW07
> HI Collar Lock Washer AEW10
> Hex Nut AEN04
> Hex Jam Nut AEN05
> Dowel AEP05
> Roll Pin AEP23
>
> Can this be done in Excel without a macro, API, VBA?
>
> I have been reading the help file for hours.
>
> Thanks for any help you may give me.
>
> Dan
> Rochester Hills, Michigan

Looking to change your car this year? Find car news, reviews and more
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fsecure%2Dau%2Eimrworldwide%2Ecom%2Fcgi%2Dbin%2Fa%2Fci%5F450304%2Fet%5F2%2Fcg%5F801459%2Fpi%5F1004813%2Fai%5F859641&_t=762955845&_r=tig_OCT07&_m=EXT
1. Excel and VBA Tutorials(Video and Text), Free add-ins downloads at
http://www.excelitems.com
3. Learn VBA Macros at http://www.vbamacros.blogspot.com
4. Excel Tips and Tricks at http://exceldailytip.blogspot.com