Mr Ramesh,

I think the filter drop down list has a limitiation of 1000 entries
in excel 2003 which might be extended to a bigger number in excel
2007.

Again the dropdowns are re-populated when filter is set on a column.

For example, I filtered on 'Customer No' column for Nov-10, it got out
'deposit date' drop down values '1-nov-2010'.

What is understand is:
When, working with filter in a workbook (excel 2003) having more than
1000 rows,
if the criterias in a particular column also exceeds 1000 (like
deposit date), then it is better to break it into two columns.
Break the Deposit date into two columns, ie Deposit Month and Deposit
Date.
For filtering on a particular date, first filter on particular month
and then select the date.

Regards,
Kishan Reddy, K
.