If you are using Excel 2007, then you can do part of this without VBA.  If
you want to change color of cell, for example, when the cell value is
negative, you can accomplish this by going to Home > Conditional Formatting
and then creating a rule by which the cell changes.  This is probably easier
than fiddling with VBA to accomplish the same thing.

To tackle your year question, I would probably figure out how to write a
subroutine that would be activated upon a change in the worksheet.  Whenever
you make a change, this subrouting would be triggered to run.  I would then
run a loop using the range.offset property such that the loop counter is
used to run down the rows and perform an algorithm on each row to check the
value and copy your year.