Your question is much too broad.Actually, it isn't really a question.It is
really a statement that you were "wondering" about something.
secondly, "5Gb of data" doesn't really mean anything.I have a report that
collects data from multiple sources.The workbook has 29 worksheets.It has
14,000 lines of vba code that generates a "Data" sheet with over 151,000 rows
and 74 columns.(over 11 million cells)
Yet this .xlsb workbook is less than 30Mb (it's 145Mb in .xlsm)I have another
workbook that has 10 sheets that only use 60 rows and 15 columns (each).and IT
is nearly a 2 Gb.The difference is: IT has graphics.

So, depending on what version of Excel you're using,what file format, what the
data consists of, and how you're using it,there are LOTS of "tricks" to access
a large collection of data.
But unless we know more about your data, there's no way to know what technique
would work.

Also: define "crash".to some people, anything that causes the program to stop
is a "crash".but especially with a large database, it could be as simple as a
variable being used for a row number being defined as an Integer instead of
"Long Integer". (Integer is limited to +/-32,767)

Another issue in Windows7 and Excel2010 is that for long program execution,
Windows puts Excel in "background" mode.(it changes Excel to a lower "priority"
so that you can do other stuff)When this happens, excel shows a "not
responding" message, even though it's still running.People often interpret this
as a "crash".
If you can provide a great deal more info (with sample data?) then I/we would
be glad to help.
“Do all the good you can,
By all the means you can,
In all the ways you can,