I had this problem where I used to work...

The users were about as dumb as a post when it came to outlook and used it
store anything they could in their mailbox. If there were 10 of them in a
group all with access to the same file server - they would still manage to
e-mail the document to each other etc. It was a major behavioural problem.

Besides some training that was compulsory and backed by management, The only
way we could force people to use shortcuts for internal doucments was to
restrict their mailbox size to say 20 megs. Even still we had 1 Exec send
out a 20 meg attachment to the other execs... boy did that exec look the
fool! *NOTE* We only ever restricted sending ability, Prohibiting receive
seems a bit silly to me...

Single instance works great in this scenario ... but one attachment
registers once for size in the information store, but also registers in each
persons mailbox, so they all needed to learn to manage their inbox and sent
items... esp what they were attaching and sending to other staff:

"What takes less space in your mailbox? A 1K shortcut or a 1 meg document?"

In the end, it forced people who received documents to store them on the
file servers... so they (and their team) could work on them.

HTH
MP