Use OSTs.  As long as the Exchange server is backed up, you have a back up
so no need to backup the OST separately.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 05 September 2001 09:28
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: RE: Recommendations for .pst file backup?

OK, so perhaps I should add a little more information here.

Believe me, I KNOW .pst files are bad. And, in light of what follows, I have
already started looking for another job.

We are currently merging two companies. My IT director wants ALL remote
Exchange servers removed from ALL offices across Europe and for ALL users to
connect Outlook directly to central servers in the UK over VPN. Some of this
work has been done and naturally, users are complaining about speed issues
and performance. Especially those on a 256K link! :)

So, rather than backing down, he wants ALL remote users to have RPC
connectivity to the central servers and use .pst files for their mail.
(ouch!) But...he doesn't want the whole .pst file backing up every time
because...some users have 1Gb .pst files!!! Now you understand why I am
looking for another job. My arms are not nearly long enough to keep this at
sufficient arms length! Instead, he wants an incremental backup on the file.
Then, for it to be backed up on a networked server.

So, until I find another job, any suggestions?