From: Michael Marchiondo [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2001 11:35 AM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: E2K Windows-98 VPN Connection Problem

Hello Folks,

This one has me stumped and my next stop is PSS but I thought I would try
here first.

We have been running Exchange 5.5 in our Windows 2000 domain for quite some
time with the ADC.  When E2K SP1 was released we started planning our
migration.  We installed the E2K server in the same site and moved all the
mailboxes to the new server.  We setup our cc:Mail connector and SMTP
connector on the new server and disabled the old ones.

Despite a few bumps it is working fairly well.  We have a mixture of Windows
2000, NT 4.0, 98, and one ME client all using Outlook 2000.  Everybody
connects fine on the LAN.

Some clients connect to the LAN via a VPN connection.  All Windows 2000
clients connecting this way work fine.  The Windows 98 and one ME client do
not.  When starting Outlook these clients just hang forever.

When looking at the profile we see that the server name has been
automatically switched as usual.  However, if we rebuild the profile and try
to resolve the mailbox name, that too hangs forever.  If we create a mailbox
on the Exchange 5.5 server and try to resolve that it all works fine.  Any
attempt to contact the Exchange 2000 server instead results in the process
hanging - only on 98 and ME.  Win2K works fine.

We can map shares, ping, and do all kinds of other network things from these
Windows-98 clients via VPN to the Exchange 2000 server.  The connectivity
seems to be there.  We have tested with RPCPing and so on as well and that
all works.

I can't figure out what VPN would have to do with it and why it works fine
for Windows 2000 clients.  All work fine on the LAN.  We have only seen this
problem with VPN and only to the Exchange 2000 server - not the Exchange 5.5
Server.  We also tried installing the Active Directory client add-on for
Windows 9x (DSCLIENT) and that didn't fix it either.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Michael