G'day all,

I have just had a few hours of really good fun with Exchange 5.5 ! The
server crashed this morning at about 9:15 and when it rebooted, the MTA
service failed and along with it the IMS service.

When I checked the event log, Exchange- in it's infinite wisdom - gave me
a stop error and some blah with 'The service completed successfully' at
the end. What chance have we got ... ?

Anyway, FYI this is what I had to do ...

The MTA service failed because the MTA database files were corrupted
during the crash. Running "MTACHECK" gave me the reassuring news that the
database was knackered and to contact Microsoft !

Because the MTA service failed, the IMS service would not start either,
thus preventing anyone sending or receiving mail. Fortunately, I was able
to restore the DAT files straight into the MTA folder from Friday's
backup.

In the meantime, I had also launched a restore on the Information Store
but as this was taking so long with no status being reported, I cancelled
the restore.

When I tried to restart the services, nothing excpet the Exchange
Assistant and the MTA service started ! So I'd fixed the MTA problem ...
but the rest of Exchange was buggered !!

Finally, I had to restore the IS again and leave it finish. All the
services kicked in perfectly and we are all happy bunnies again.

This is the first 'problem' we've had on the Exchange box, although we
have tested a full backup and it worked fine. Can anyone advise on a
different approach to the above, or does it seem logical ? I know the IS
problem could have been avoided, but I guess panic had set in by then (or
the caffeine was wearing off !)

Also, I think users must enjoy coming and telling you that their email
isn't working - as if we didn't know during these little ... outages !!

Cheers,

Tim