From: Parker Race [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, September 10, 2001 2:53 PM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: Rejected SMTP mail

We're running Exchange 5.5 SP4.
I have a problem with users from a certain domain not being able to
successfully send mail to us. The ISP is the same for both of us and mail
sent from this domain to us is forwarded by the ISP's Unix server running
sendmail. In fact all our incoming mail is forwarded from this server and
we don't have anyone else complaining of having delivery problems when
sending mail to us.
I have never seen any non-deliverable messages from this domain to ours in
our logs or in the mailbox that NDR messages are sent to.

The ISP claims our server is rejecting messages to users from this domain
with a user unknown response based on their testing. I've turned up
diagnostic logging on the IMC and MTA and don't see any evidence of any
rejections. When mail is sent to my personal address the user at the other
end and the ISP do not get an error message, however I never get any of
the messages either. In fact a user at the other end says his server logs
(Exchange 5.0) show that his messages were successfully delivered.

Has anyone else seen behavior like this where messages are being rejected
by the server but not being logged in anyway?

Are there any other tools available to trace incoming messages sent from
this domain to our server to verify that it is actually getting to our
server?