-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Jeremy Newell
Sent: Friday, September 21, 2001 7:56 AM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: RE: Nimda

Sure I make my living supporting Microsoft's software too but you do have to
admit that there are some "features" in outlook and many other Microsoft
products that seemed like a good thing at the time but only make our lives
entertaining.  Personally I see no need for HTML/scripting/vbs/ActiveX in
e-mails.  Most of these mass mailers use well known holes/bugs in Outlook/OE
to replicate.  If Outlook only supplied plain text or only allowed basic
HTML without all the fancy scripting then it would be ok.  The fact that
viewing an e-mail via the preview panel will trigger the virus/worm is dumb.
Or how about the new "feature" found in OE 6.0 what will run, under certain
conditions, scripting in a plain text e-mail.  The other option I can think
of is to enhance Windows Update to always be on and for Microsoft to release
all patches via that web site (IIS, Exchange, Server, Workstation, etc).  So
all Windows users will have the current up to date software.  The main
problem that I see is that most system aren't patched because the admins or
home user is lazy or doesn't know any better. I think it was Russ in
NTBugTraq that did a search on Microsoft's site for IIS patches and found 3
different repositories for patches and all 3 of them had different number of
patches.  So an admin hits one of the pages and downloads all the patches
that he/she sees thinking that's all the needed updates.  But the system may
still be missing a few very important security updates that the page failed
to mention.

But in the end we can do only two things.  One sit back and watch as other
non-patched systems infect more non-patched systems or two get management
jobs at Microsoft and change some of their "features".  Oh yes, and as Kevin
says you can always use something else (many do).

Jeremy Newell
Systems Technician

INSCRIBER TECHNOLOGY CORPORATION
26 Peppler Street