From:   Robert Ellis
Sent:   Tuesday, October 02, 2001 8:20 AM
To:     Exchange Discussions
Subject:        Messages with an Unreachable Destination

I've got 2 exchange 2000 servers, in 2 different physical locations, but
members of the same exchange 5.5 site (mixed mode).  Mail from 2000 to
5.5 within the site is flowing OK, but anything outgoing for other 5.5
sites or external addresses is sitting in 'Messages with an Unreachable
Destination' on the SMTP virtual servers on both machines.

Having turned up logging, it seems that 2000 is reporting one of the 5.5
site connectors as linkstate down, but its not (or at least not that 5.5
notices!)

If I stop and start the SMTP VS on the 2000 boxes, on one box it retries
the messages, and generally sends most or all of them, but on the other
box, it retries then moves them all back into the 'unreachable
destination' queue.

As I understand it, 2000 will hold messages until it knows the end to
end route is available, but is there any way of overriding this, to get
2000 to basically 'fire and forget'?

The contents of this email and any attachments are sent for the personal
attention
of the addressee(s) only and may be confidential.  If you are not the
intended
addressee, any use, disclosure or copying of this email and any
attachments is
unauthorised - please notify the sender by return and delete the
message.  Any
representations or commitments expressed in this email are subject to
contract.

ntl Group Limited