-----Original Message-----
From: Amir El Aziq
To: Exchange Discussions
Sent: 05/10/01 13:03
Subject: Re: Restore

> Scenario:
> 5 users in the organisation.
> 1 server for file/print/email
> Full Online Exchange backup every night.
> Exchange BLB every night also.
> Data backup every night.
> All backups complete in 3 hours, on 1 tape.

> Please explain to me why doing a BLB is bad in this scenario.

You have reduced the scale of your exchange system to a size where the bad
points of BLBs have not yet reared up and bit your mythical scenario admin.
That still doesn't make BLBs a good idea, in the same way that one hit of
heroin probably won't kill you, but it still might not be a good idea to
take some.

I could send all of your users a bunch of large emails (say 5 emails of
100mb to all 5 users) and your single-instance-storage-breaking BLB backup
isn't quite so elegant anymore.

Regards
--
Robert Moir, Microsoft Backoffice MVP
IT Systems Engineer,

--
This e-mail is intended for the addressee shown. It contains information
that is confidential and protected from disclosure. Any review,

The contents of this email do not necessarily represent the views or
policies of Luton Sixth Form College, its employees or students.