We are all blocking .EXE files like we are supposed too....right?

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Greatlakes,
Reebdnes
Sent: Monday, October 29, 2001 10:34 AM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: nimda d??

Symantec Security Response - W32.Nimda.D@mmSymantec Security Response
      http://securityresponse.symantec.com

W32.Nimda.D@mm
      Discovered on: October 29, 2001
      Last Updated on: October 29, 2001 at 07:00:35 AM PST

W32.Nimda.D@mm is an new version of W32.Nimda.A@mm that contains
bug-fixes and
modifications to avoid previous anti-virus detection.
This worm is similar in functionality to W32.Nimda.A@mm. Differences
include the
modification of filenames used by the worm.

  The attachment received has been changed to sample.exe
  The dropped DLL file is now httpodbc.dll
  The worm now copies itself to the Windows System directory as
csrss.exe
  instead of mmc.exe

Infected HTML files are already detected as W32.Nimda.A@mm (html)

Type: Virus, Worm
Virus Definitions: October 29, 2001
Threat Assessment:

      Wild:
      Low Damage:
      Medium Distribution:
      High

Wild:
  Number of infections: 0 - 49
  Number of sites: 0 - 2
  Geographical distribution: Low
  Threat containment: Easy
  Removal: Moderate
Damage:
  Payload:
    Large scale e-mailing: Emails itself out as sample.exe
    Degrades performance: May cause system slowdown
    Compromises security settings: Creates open network shares
  Shared drives: Infects open network shares
  Target of infection: Specifically attempts to infect unpatched IIS
servers

Write-up by: Eric Chien