From: Leblanc, Shawn [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 27 November 2001 20:11
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: Exchange Server - Outlook Client Slowdown

I am hoping someone out there is having some of the same issues as we are
having and have come up with some solutions.  Any suggestions would be very
much appreciated.

Our current setup is;

- Single Server Exchange Server Enterprise 5.5 Sp4 running OWA
- Compaq Server Dual PII 450 Xeon Processors
- 5 hard drives - 3 10,000rpm 36.4 GB drives in RAID 5 (Databases)
                    - 2 10,000rpm 9.1 GB drives in RAID 1       (Transaction
Logs)
- Server is running at 100mbps full duplex.
- Pub.edb = 150mb
- Priv.edb 18.5 GB (approx 40GB of free space)
- Circular Logging Turned off - Differential Arcserve Backup enabled
- 200 - 230 Users and 300 mailboxes

Description

For the past couple of weeks we have notice a perceptible slowdown in client
side response times on our exchange server.  The slowdown mainly happens at
peak times,(9-10am and 2-3pm) however we have noticed it with attachments
and at other times as well.  It sometimes can take 5-8 seconds to open an
e-mail with an attachment where we have been getting immediate response
before.  For scrolling through messages in Outlook we have also noticed a
slow down. Also - when copying an attachment from an e-mail to your local
machine,(right click and copy, then paste to desktop) this response time has
decrease dramatically.  Although these slowdowns do not stop us from working
on a daily basis we would like to get on top of this issue and do what we
need to do to keep our Exchange server speedy.

Any ideas or recommendations are appreciated.

Regards,

Shawn M. Leblanc, Network Technician
BULL, HOUSSER & TUPPER
Vancouver, Canada
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]      http://www.bht.com
Tel:   (604) 687-6575 or Direct # 641-4919
Fax:  (604) 641-4949 or Direct # 646-2500

Pager: (604) 650-4155