-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Bauer, Mr. Rick
Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2001 11:27 AM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: Exchange 2000 "Blast" E-Mail: Best practices/product
suggestions?

Note sure if this is a Outlook or Exchange questions, but I am looking
for a best practice solution, and <pathetic sucking up sound>this is the
smartest group of people I know in the Exchange world</pathetic sucking
up sound>.

1. Organization environment: Exchange 2000, Outlook XP clients, 900
users (students & faculty, boarding school)
2. We want to be able to send a blast e-mail with emergency contact
information/news to non-Exchange e-mail users (parents, alumni). Present
number of foreign e-mail addresses is ~2600, but the number will go past
5K soon.
3. We track e-mail addresses in several SQL and other databases, so
ganging them all together is fairly awkward; once they are in an
excel/word document (separated by a semicolon, of course), then they are
dumped into a BCC field, and then the message is sent.
4) In light of Sept 11 issues, we ran into a problem in that the BCC
field will time out after about 500 individual e-mail addresses are
dumped in the field.

Solutions:

**3rd part list manager software?/Costs?/Experiences (we REALLY don't
want to start yet another DB for this if we don't have to; we'd rather
create some kind of address dump and go from there). We really don't
need a name/address connection for these addresses, we want to extract
them from our databases, dump them into some BCC-type entity, and then
send.

**Private distro from an individual mailbox in Outlook? Sounds like a
lot of work to do the management.

I am not a spammer, nor is this a fund-raising thing; the school has a
lot of alums on Wall Street, and we were overwhelmed with traffic on
Sept 11th from people wanting to let us know they were alive, or folks
looking for missing comrades. We also wanted to be able to send one
e-mail to all our parents quickly (we are 5 miles form a nuclear power
plant, so there was some concern about a terrorist attack).

Again, I am not sure where to post this, if but those of you with
experience in solving this issue could contact me (even offline), I
would sure appreciate it. I searched the archives and the MS exchange
site, but could not find anything that spoke to a best practice or
recommendations. Free beer for good suggestions, and sorry for the
length of the post.

Regards,

Rick
Rick Bauer, Chief Information Officer
The Hill School * 717 East High Street
Pottstown, PA 19464
(610) 326-1000, ext. 7373 * fax: 610 705-1767
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
website: http://www.thehill.org
e-learning web: http://academy.thehill.org