Um, no.  They are not "bad" (assuming they are in compliance with all
applicable RFCs) until the MTA says they are not valid.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Ross [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, November 30, 2001 8:29 AM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: Stopping bad email addresses at the gates

Hello,
Is there a way to bounce bad Internet messages before they get delivered?
If I'm understanding the flow correctly, the IMC accepts any message
coming in and hands it off to the MTA.  The MTA says "I don't have a
mailbox for that person" and sends back out a non-delivery announcement,
and in our case also sends a copy to the postmaster for review.  Can we
stop those messages at the Internet connector?  We are running 5.5 with a
single small organization right now but will be going to E2K soon.

Thank you,
JR