Huh, who da thunk it?

-----Original Message-----
From: Alverson, Thomas M. [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2001 7:02 AM
To: Exchange Discussions
Cc: Martin Blackstone
Subject: RE: Do your content blockers stop attachment when they are TNEF e
ncod ed?

WHAT IS TNEF?

Transport Neutral Encapsulation Format, or TNEF, is a format of
encapsulation used exclusively by Microsoft to send a message using
Microsoft Rich Text. TNEF is proprietary to Microsoft products such as
Outlook, Outlook Express and Exchange. Lotus Notes does not have the ability
to decipher TNEF. TNEF attachments can be generated in two ways:

1) if a Microsoft Exchange's internet mail connector is configured to send
TNEF. The default option of the Internet Mail Connector is set to User,
meaning the client can select the option of using TNEF or not. The other
options for the IMC is Always or Never ,

OR

2) sending of 'winmail.dat' can be set in the address book on a
per-recipient basis. NOTE: The Exchange setting overrides the setting in the
Personal Address Book. Also note that the wording of the setting in the
address book is different in the various Microsoft mail clients.