From: Pfefferkorn, Pete (PFEFFEPE) [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2001 8:50 AM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: Off topic: ScanMail AVAPI notifications and tracing?

Exchange 5.5 SP4, ScanMail 3.52

We upgraded to ScanMail 3.52 and are running in both AVAPI and MAPI mode.  I
understand that running AVAPI, you lose the sender/recipient information for
viruses caught in the log files.  I'm a little confused on my testing on how
notification works.  I sent a test virus to a mailbox on our system and I
did not receive a notification that I sent a infected message.  The
recipient, on the other hand, did receive a message from my account and had
a text file entitled "Virus1_Detected_and_Removed_virusname.txt".

Shouldn't I have received a message as well.  I have the real time scan set
to send message to sender,recipient,administrator.

One other question.  Since I do not get the actual sender notifications in
the log files now,  I cannot determine where/who may be triggering an
outbreak.  Since the recipient gets a attachment with the
"Virus1xxxxxxxxx.txt" message is there a way to track this through the MTA
tracking log files.  Is there a diagnostic key on the MTA that will include
the attachment name sent on messages?

Pete Pfefferkorn
Senior Systems Engineer/Mail Administrator
University of Cincinnati
51 Goodman Street
Cincinnati, OH  45221
Phone - (513) 556-9076